As you can see in the above photo, the original mason jar lid is pretty wrecked. Note to self: steel, water, and oxygen do not mix. The lids are also coated in vinyl, however once you drill through that waterproof coating it's pretty ineffective... obviously. The crucial step I skipped last time was to coat the opening with a sealant to protect the metal from rusting. My thought process was, "Wow, the pump fits perfectly I bet it doesn't even need glue." I was wrong. So this time I went a little overboard. After making a hole in the center with a half inch drill bit I basically smothered all exposed surfaces with a silicone sealant and pieced the parts together. The packaging says it can be used on aquariums so I expect it to be locked tight for life.
If you read my introductory post you might have noticed one of those mason jar soap dispensers that are oh so trendy as of late. I made it about a year and a half ago and over time the lid rusted and crumbled in to pieces and the pump pushed through the opening. It might sound like this occurred because Pinterest is full of lies and to successfully complete a Pinterest craft is impossible. Unfortunately, this mishap was actually due to an act of lazy crafting on my part. I skipped one vital step in the process and it led to this item's eventual destruction. So I thought I would rehab my soap dispenser the correct way and document it for anyone interested in attempting this Pinterest favorite.
I just want to conclude by acknowledging the amount of innuendo in this post.
It wasn't intentional, but seemed to be unavoidable.